Our Facebook Group
Our Facebook group is where a lot of people are connecting with #TheKindnessPandemic. The group grew to over 500,000 people in the first two weeks. This page responds to requests for more information about the group.
The group focuses on an approach we call Intersectional Kindness - or kindness for everyone. We want to make sure we are spreading kindness to people who were marginalised or doing it tough before COVID19 and those who are now experiencing difficulty because of the virus. You can read more about Intersectional Kindness by clicking the link here and we have listed some of our key principles here:
- Action focused: memes (short poems) and photos of cute puppies are adorable but wont change lives. Our page focuses on acts of kindness our members have undertaken - and those they have received
- Loud Kindness: please tell us about your acts of kindness, it helps to inspire others to be kind and your stories give us all hope. Sharing a story of kindness is not boasting - its an important step in making kindness spread (kindof Appreciative Inquiry)
- Intersectionality: we want to make sure our action includes people who were experiencing difficulty prior to COVID19 and those who are experiencing new or more difficulty because of the virus.
To help make sure our Acts of Kindness reach out to all we are running a new Campaign every week or two. The Campaigns focus on different groups of people who are marginalised. Some important points:
- We will give priority to approving posts that relate to our current campaign
- Each Campaign has its own webpage - at the end of each campaign we will showcase a sample of the campaign posts on the webpage
- Each campaign has its own hashtag - this helps us to find the Camaign of the page and across social media ... and in the page where there are millions of posts
- In addition to the Campaign posts - we will accept posts that have novel or new content.
- There is always a post pinned to the top of the page that tells you what the current Campaign is.
We have a post approval process and delete a significant number of inappropriate posts including spam. If the number of posts we need to approve exceeds 10,000 we will turn posts off - this means you wont be able to see where to post. At the moment: posts are on 12 hours a day. (Australia time)
Rules for posting
- Remember to be kind: #TheKindnessPandemic is about promoting acts of kindness during the COVID19 pandemic. Please be kind in your comments and please affirm what others have done where appropriate - it fuels the revolution
- Direct membership requests: We will only accept members who apply directly and answer the membership questions. If you want to invite friends please send them the link.
- Report a problem: Please don’t be critical in your comments – tell us if you see a post or comment that shouldn't be here
- Don't share personal details: Please do not share your personal details (phone, email, address etc) online - if you want to contact someone, message them privately
- Visibility & Repeats: if we can't see any content in your post or if it's a post that someone else has already shared (like media stories) as we will delete it. We love original content!
- Health Advice: Please do not share health advice OF ANY KIND , recipes for homemade sanitizer or designs for masks or other personal protective equipment.
- Profanity and Swearing: If you are using language people find offensive - chances are you are also being unkind...your comments may be deleted and you may be blocked.
- No Promotions, Spam or monetary gain: Please give more than you take to this group. Promoting your own business and services, or sharing spam and irrelevant links aren't allowed. Please do not ask for, or offer, any money, goods or services, for yourself or others. We will not publish fundraisers.
- No groups, No businesses, No services: Please join as an individual. This is a group that focuses on people performing acts of kindness & provides a safe place to feel supported within the community.
Information about Facebook posting
- Did you know that your posts can be shared? We want to protect your privacy. Please do not sure anything that you do not want others to share! #TheKindnessPandemic #PrivacyMatters
- Delete Posts and Comments
Did you know that you can delete your own posts and turn off commenting on your post? (This applies to posts in groups only) Simply follow these steps and don’t forget to reach out to the admin team if you have any questions.
- Want to see fewer posts from us? You can still be part of the group - but unfollow us, so you don’t see every post. That way you can just jump into the group whenever you need a lift. To unfollow our group:
!. Go to the group's front page
2. Hover over "Joined' near our cover photo.
3. Select Unfollow.
If your post has not been approved, it may be that we have already reached our daily limit of 200 or that it has breached one of these rules listed above.
Any person corresponding with the Campaign team in an unkind way about why their post has not been approved - will be blocked.
Inviting your family and friends:
We love you spreading the word to family and friends - to help keep our Group BOT free we will NOT accept invitations you have sent to others. Please share the link to the group with them instead. Click HERE for the link.